Transition To Fall: Layering
Posted on September 13, 2015
Fall is my favorite time of year! The cooler days and the changing of the leaves—not to mention pumpkin spice EVERYTHING! But one of my absolute favorite things about fall is the opportunity to layer my outfits! As the temperatures drop—we get to finally add our outfits and stack on the fall fashion! Here are a few of our favorite tricks for wearing jackets, cardigans and scarves in ways that are sexy—not bulky!
Try matching a long skirt or dress paired with a slim-cut, structured jacket in a neutral color of your choice. (Black is always great!) This look is perfect for balmy days when you don’t want to commit to pants just yet! Hah!
Jewel tones are a huge trend this season. When the cooler months have normally been a time for muted tones, we can finally add some color to accompany the changing leaves. A brightly colored dress or blouse would go well under a jacket of a fun and contrasting shade.
Just because summer’s over doesn’t mean your cute shorts have to go straight into storage. Pair them with a tank, jacket and pump on a warmer autumn day. A little cooler out? Add tights and a swap out the heels for a cute pair of boots.
If you’re going to wear a big, comfy top, rock some body-hugging pants underneath. A distresses pair of boots adds to the cool weekend vibe.
If you’re into a more laid-back style, add some menswear flair to your look with a cute pair of oxfords, an oversized black blazer, and a perfectly wrapped scarf.
You can easily take a fancy frock from dressy to daytime—just throw it over a long-sleeved black t-shirt. This works especially well with a fun print!
Still a little unsure on the whole layering concept? Here’s a little guide to help you get a good, cozy handle in the basics!
1. Start with a basic, lightweight top. Either, solid, neutral, or striped.
2. Add another layer, such as a soft cardigan or sweater. If you’re into color, this can be a great opportunity to mix in a bold pullover to give your outfit more depth and intrigue.
3. Then add a jacket or a coat. Again, basic colors would be ideal: black, camel, navy, or even olive green.
4. Next, add a scarf! Like frosting on a cupcake—it’s a must!
5. Sprinkle on your accessories, such as bracelets, rings, watches, etc.
Voila! Your perfect layered look is complete!